For GPSTs, there are generally two reasons for wanting an Inter Deanery Transfer – either personal or educationally motivated reasons. IDTs need approval by the exiting deanery and also the transferring deanery. Current guidance is available for GPSTs, by downloading the Policy 7 Guidance Document using the link below.
Visit the Wessex Deanery’s IDT webpage for more information and current application forms/guidance.
NB Trainees must use the GP IDT not the ST application form.
Programme Transfer Requests
GP trainees may apply to transfer to another training Programme within Wessex if they have a genuine reason for moving and with the support of their Patch Associate Dean. If approved, a move may only take place if there is a suitable vacancy in the desired Programme.
* Trainee discusses their request for a programme transfer with their Programme Director and Patch Associate Dean.
* Trainee completes a Programme Transfer Application Form. The form must be signed by the Patch Associate Dean or Programme Director and then sent to the GP Programme Manager.
* The Programme Manager logs and checks the form and sends acknowledgement to the trainee with a copy to the Patch Office, AD and PD.
* The Programme Manager forwards the form to the receiving Patch AD.
* Patch AD confirms whether they can accept the transfer and Fenella informs the trainee with cc to the Patch and Trust (if applicable).
* It is the trainee’s responsibility to give appropriate notice to their employers (Hospital Trust or GP Practice).
* Fenella provides trainee information to the receiving trust and Patch Office.
Two transfer windows:
For transfers in August – applications submitted by 1 March and forwarded to the receiving Patch AD who confirms to the Programme Manager whether they can accept the trainee; Programme Manager informs the trainee of the decision by 31 March. Applications can be discussed at the AD Business meeting eg if it is necessary to prioritise them.
For transfers in February – applications submitted by 1 September and forwarded to the receiving Patch AD who confirms to the Programme Manager whether they can accept the trainee; Programme Manager informs the trainee of the decision by 30 September. Applications can be discussed at the AD Business meeting eg if it is necessary to prioritise them.
This will allow the GP School to identify vacancies for the national IDT process. IDT application windows are in April and October.
Eligibility criteria Priority will be given to trainees who wish to transfer for the following reasons: Personal healthcare requirements Caring responsibilities for children under sixteen or close family members Committed relationship.